Friday, July 1, 2011

Carrot harvest

Well, it's the start of the holiday weekend and I thought I would have been done with the carrots by now. But as it happens, today was the final harvest of the carrot crop.  I decided to pull up the last two rows, about a half a bucket's worth, for two reasons. First, I didn't want to leave them in there too much longer and have them start to get pithy and bitter. And second, I am ready to till that area of the garden and plant a cover crop before it gets too late. I need time for the cover crop, in this case cowpeas, to put on some growth before I turn it under for fall planting. I am going to be putting some onions and garlic in this area around mid September so that leaves a month for the cowpeas to grow, after which I will turn them under and wait at least two weeks before planting the onions and garlic.
 My chickens are happy about the harvest. They just love the carrot greens. And my dogs love carrots, so I give them any that may be too small to bother with canning or have any damage on them.
 The DW and I were out in the garden this evening and she spotted a couple ears of the corn that are ready for picking. We'll be having those for dinner tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment