Saturday, December 31, 2011

Winter pruning.

I spent some time out front of the house today. I took the electric hedge shears and cut down the variegated grass around the driveway. It went into the compost bins I share with the neighbors on the property line. They have been keeping their horses on their other property here of late and I haven't gotten my fix of stable cleanings to add to the compost piles.
 I also did some pruning on the shasta viburnums out front. They had numerous water sprouts (branches that sprout twigs that shoot straight up with no branching) and crossing branches which needed to be removed.
It's important to take some time to inspect your shrubs and trees for these types of things to keep them healthy. Water sprouts to nothing for the overall appearance of the shrub and tend to block out light and air from getting to the center of the shrub. Crossing branches can cause rubbing and bark wounds, where insects and diseases can find an easy entry point to your valued shrub.
 I also took some time to remove some Muhly Grass volunteers from my beds. I love Muhly Grass in the fall when it looks like clouds of hot pink cotton candy floating just above the ground. But it has proven to be quite invasive in my gardens. It pops up everywhere in the beds. It is definitely a love/hate type plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment