Thursday, March 29, 2012

Clematis in bloom






These are a couple of clematis which are blooming now. The first is Nelly Moser. It is growing up the arch with a climbing rose Zephrine Droughn. ZD is a fragrant pink rose that will be blooming in a couple weeks.
 The other is a clematis is one which I don't know the name of. It may be on one of the markers out in the gardens ( I have this planted in at least three different spots).
 As you can see from the last picture, I like to grow clematis up through other shrubs. In the picture, the clematis is climbing up through a ligustrum (which will bloom with it's sweet fragrance soon). I have clematis growing up through viburnums, mock orange, hardy hibiscus, and an Ann Magnolia. I also grow it up the lattice around our back deck, up an obelisk in the front garden, on the fence around the back yard, and probably a few spots I've failed to mention here.  I have eight different varieties, but I couldn't name but a couple without referring to the markers. In some cases the markers are missing, and the variety shall be forever guessed at.
 When you grow it up through another flowering shrub, you can accomplish one of two things. One being to have different flowers 'on' the shrub at either different times, or simultaneously.  If you plant a clematis like Jackmanii, which blooms on and off through warm weather, you can get multiple blooms from the one shrub. And you can have some fun with your friends when they ask you what that shrub is with the purple blooms.


Here you can see some pictures of the Cherokee Brave dogwoods I planted when we moved in. I planted 6, but only five survived. They have a unique pink bloom. In the middle and bottome picture you can see the   Encore azaleas.

 This is my Kwanzan cherry tree. You can see it from both the dinning room and the laundry room windows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment