Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Potatoes are sprouting.

Sorry the picture is sideways, I don't know how to correct that, so it will just have to be. It is a picture of the first potato plants to break the surface. I planted them back on February 18th, so it took about six weeks to see any results. 
We have been harvesting about two meals per week of asparagus since the weekend of the 5th of March. This is from a raised bed 5'x10' with 24 crowns (four rows of 6 each). We will probably harvest for a couple more weeks (usually right around the time the strawberries ripen) and then let them grow on. This patch is now 5 years old (if my memory serves me). We tend to get tired of eating asparagus after three weeks and will give some to the neighbors before we stop the harvest.


Speaking of strawberries, here are a couple shots of the bed of Chandler strawberries. These are also in a raised, 5'x10' bed. I have another planting of Chandlers next to the driveway, right where I park my truck. So when I get home each day, I will be able to stop and pick some for the way in to the house. I have a third bed of strawberries of a variety that escapes me at the moment. They were traded for with my brother. I gave him some Chandlers and he gave me some of his, so we can compare. My Mr Margaretta machine is just waiting to make some strawberry daquiris!
As you can see, the black seeded Simpson lettuce is up, and we have begun using it in our salads. I add some of it, some spinach, some Romaine, and some of the Iceberg together for my salad. My DW likes the store bought lettuce more, but she will add some of the garden types to her salads as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment