Thursday, May 10, 2012

First Hemerocallis of the season

Well, the early daylilies have started to bloom. Stella De'Oro are usually the first bloomers of the year. I only have one clump of Stella De'Oro here in my gardens  and while mine are not yet in bloom because they are getting too much shade, most of my neighbors' are. Here are a few of my other day lilies that have started to bloom:




If you happened to see the pictures I posted earlier, of my Jackmanii Clematis, here is another picture of the clematis on my fence and you can see how many more blooms it has now, over when the last picture was taken back in April.

This is some Victoria Blue salvia that I have growing by the koi pond.  It is a carefree plant and it's flowers are long lasting.

I took a brief walk through what used to be my shady side garden. That was three large dead trees ago. I have had the dead trees removed, and for now the garden gets more sun than it was intended. Most of the plants are capable of adapting. The 'Bloodgood' and 'Coral Bark' Japanese maples do well in the shade or sun. As do the osmanthus, the camelia sasanqua & japonica, iteas, 'Encore' azaleas, and many of the other plants in this garden. Even the hostas look nice in spring, but in a few months the sun will take its toll on them and they will start looking worse for the wear.

I have allowed some Tulip poplar seedlings to grow int this garden, and they should grow quickly to bring shade back to this garden. And they serve as a host plant to butterflies.


The Virginia Sweetspire (Itea) is in full bloom now. This is a truly wonderful plant that can serve many purposes. It can be planted in wet areas, sun, shade and will perform well.





No comments:

Post a Comment