Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pea Harvest

I planted three types of peas this year. One variety I had planted last year, Early Frosty, is a very sweet pea and produces well. If you have the time, energy and thumbs to shell peas, I can recommend this variety for here in the Carolinas.

 The second variety is Alaska. It is a new variety for me, and I was encouraged to try it because it promised an early crop. Well, it was no earlier than the other two varieties I planted, and the peas taste bland and starchy. Perhaps it is intended for a cooler climate, but I will not be planting it again.

 The last I variety is Super Sugar Snap Pea. As I mentioned in an earlier post, these are very sweet peas which are eaten with the shell on. We snap the ends off of them and remove the strings that form on the spines and either steam them or use them in a stir fry. Many of them never make it all the way in from the garden they are so good straight off the vine.





No comments:

Post a Comment