Sunday, January 20, 2013

Baking bread

With there being so little to do outside, I got the itch to make a mess or two in the kitchen. I like chili, and I am the only one in the family who really does. So making a big pot of chili means figuring out what to do with the leftovers. I used to bag them up into individual serving sizes and freeze them. But since I've gotten the canning bug, I thought I'd give that a shot. As it turns out, one batch of my chili will make seven pints (just what my canner will hold in one batch). I processed them for 75 minutes at 10 pounds and they all sealed up just fine.
 I followed that up with making a loaf of bread from freshly milled hard wheat flour. I went down to the  local 'organic' store and bought what I eye balled to be around 4 to 5 cups of wheat berries. I have a grain grinding attachment for my Kitchenette mixer and I milled the berries at the finest setting it has. I followed a recipe I found on MotherEarthNews website, by making a soaker and a sponge the night before. I let them sit, covered, overnight. The sponge had expanded by maybe 25%. After mixing the soaker and the sponge together I kneaded it for a few minutes and then left it to rise for 45 minutes. I punched it down, and formed it into a loaf shape and coated with oil. I left it to rise again for 45 minutes, then put it into an oven at 425 degrees for around 40 minutes. It came out quite well. As with everything I make with my homegrown honey, it had the taste of the buckwheat I grow for the bees. I can comfortably say my bread tastes like no one else's due to this one key ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment