Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A few thoughts


It is yet another of those wonderful winter days which remind many of us just why we moved to the Carolinas. Sunny and 70 degrees on January 29th! I had a short day at work so I was able to get out on the tractor this afternoon. A neighbor needed some tilling work to be done, so I took the tractor over and took care of it. And while the ground was more moist than I would have preferred, I turned under the clover that had been serving as a cover crop in the veggie garden. If I were to wait for perfect conditions to till the clover under, I might not get in done in time to plant. I have some late winter/early spring veggies to set out within the next month, so I need to get the cover crops turned under and decomposing soon.

 The winter wheat is coming along nicely, as you can see here. As this is a new crop for me, I am very excited to see it doing so well. The dogs love to eat the tasty tender tips, and I suspect the deer do as well.

The bees were very busy today. The red maples will be just beginning to bloom now, with the peak coming in mid to late February. This is one of the primary sources for bees to collect pollen in the year and they need to start building up a population now to take advantage. As long as the temps stay moderate, I will leave the bees to their own. If it were to turn cold, I might consider filling a feeder with some homemade 'nectar' for them. The photo, if you can make it out, is of some red maple buds.
Pampas grass
I just added this picture of the Pampas grass because I realized it is one of the plants in my gardens that I had never mentioned. Some folks like the stuff, some don't. My DW doesn't and I do so I put it way out at the very back border of the property as sort of a screen between the veggie garden and the house behind us. I have five clumps of it. It serves the purpose for which it is intended, and I think it's rather attractive.



Leatherleaf Mahonia (Oregon Grape Holly)
Winter Daphne
The leather leaf mahonia is blooming. I really like this plant for a shady spot. It is very prickly, so don't plant it near any walks or paths. It is evergreen with some nice looking holly-like  leafs, and it blooms when there is  very little else blooming in the gardens. As a rule, it tends to be more of an upright plant, getting no more than 6' wide and 8'-10' tall.
Winter Daphne
The winter dapne has also started to bloom. On a nice day like today, it is quite the treat to go out and sit on the bench with two of these at each end and bask in the wonderfully sweet fragrance of these shrubs. They are very finicky about how and where they are planted, but once properly situated, they are well worth the trouble. How many are so lucky as to be able to go out and enjoy the fragrance of a beauty like this, in late January?


The hellebores (lenten roses) are in full bloom now. 







If you ever consider planting nandinas, just be informed about what you are doing. These plants are considered invasive in most areas. These two are an example of some that escaped cultivation via birds. They are growing wild in my woods (along with lots of wild privet, asian honeysuckle and wild roses). I have some Firepower nandina in my landscape, but to my knowledge they don't produce seed (or at least I haven't seen any in the 10+ years I've grown them).

The first of the winter sown seeds to germinate. I think these are the balloon flowers. I'll just close them back up, add a few more holes in the lid, and leave them be until I have some time to either pot them up, or plant them out.





No comments:

Post a Comment