Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Peas are planted

I got the peas planted today. I planted one side of my pea net with Alaska peas and the other side with Super Sugar Snap peas. I grow the Alaska peas for shelling and eating fresh. I have in the past canned peas, with marginal success, this year I am on the lookout for a dehydrator to process them that way. If I can't find a cheap one on craiglist, or amazon, I'll probably end up freezing them instead of canning. It is easier and they taste better frozen over canned. I've heard that dehydrating them is the best way to retain their nutritional value and taste.


 The Super Sugar Snaps are for eating out in the garden (I also eat the Alaska peas right in the garden), and they are great steamed, stir fryed, or just added to a table salad. It is a shame the season is so short for them here. I only get to eat them for a few weeks. It gets far too hot, too soon in the year for them to produce as long as I might imagine they would further north.
 I did not bother to inoculate the seeds prior to germinating them. I have grown peas/beans treated with inoculant in every corner of my garden at some point, so the bacteria is already present in my soil. If you haven't grown peas/beans in your garden before, I would recommend you treat your seed with it. It helps the plant roots form nodes on the roots which gather nitrogen, which is then present in your soil. The beans/peas will be more productive and your soil will love you for it. It is a good idea to follow a bean crop with corn or wheat which need more nitrogen in the soil. It benefits the plant, and your wallet because you don't have to buy all that nitrogen fertilizer.

 I put some baby choi seeds in the coffee filters to start germinating. Baby choi is good in soups. Just toss a few leaves into your soup for a few minutes prior to serving, it adds a nice flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment