Sunday, April 29, 2012

Re-re-planting beans

It's early in the season here and I have had to replant the beans twice now. The first was my fault for trying to cheat a little and get them in the ground before tax day. The second was a frost that fell a week after our typical last frost. It was just enough to nip the tender bean sprouts and a pepper plant and a few basil plants. The odd thing about the basil is that of the 9 I planted, four succumbed to frost, but the others are fine. And only one tomato plant suffered any damage and  it was minor.
 So today I pulled out the frosted sprouts and put more bean seeds in the ground. I have one tomato fruited. It is a Mortgage Lifter.
 The strawberries are producing about a pint a day now. We've had them on pancakes and ice cream and just right out of a bowl with some sugar sprinkled on.
The roses are blooming throughout the property. I have a few David Austin Roses, I think the top one is Golden Celebration. I also have another yellow Austin called Charlotte and a yellow Knock Out rose. 
This is an antique rose called Marie Pavie.  It is a semi double rose with a light scent that blooms all summer long (when the Japanese beetles don't eat the blooms). It is very nearly thornless and is easy to care for.
This is my climbing New Dawn rose growing up a Crape Myrtle. By growing it this way, my 'tree' gets three blooms each year. The New Dawn will bloom in spring and again in late summer and of course the Crape Myrtle will bloom in summer.
This is the Oakleaf Hydrangea, just starting to bloom, and some pink Knock Out roses in the foreground.
The first of the peonies has started to bloom as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment