Sunday, April 22, 2012

Strawberry season is here!



Strawberry season came a little early this year for two reasons. First it has been warmer than usual this spring, and second because my brother gave me some starts of a variety called Ft Laramie, from his strawberry patch. These berries are ripening before my patches of Chandlers. They are good sized berries and if one uses patience and picks them when they are completely ripened, they are as sweet as can be. I don't think I'd replace the Chandlers with the Ft Laramies (because the Chandlers produce more and bigger berries) but because they are earlier, they make a nice addition to the strawberry crop.
 Now if I could just keep the deer from browsing on the berry patches. I put hoops over the patches and deer netting over the hoops, but the deer still find a way to get their noses under the netting and browse on the foliage.

 Our neighbor has an new addition to his herd. Her pigmy pony had a foal. It is the cutest thing. That's the mother on the right and the foal on the left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment