Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Threat of Frost

Each and every year I fight the urge to plant the summer garden early. Our average last frost date falls roughly around tax day, April 15th, here in the Charlotte area. Every year we have lots of warm weather prior to this date and the urge to get out into the garden can be overwhelming. This year has been even more so, as we have had record high temps this spring. Everything has been blooming two to three weeks ahead of the normal time.
 I got out last weekend and planted some bean seeds. I am growing Blue Lake pole beans, Blue Lake bush beans, Provider bush beans, dark red kidney beans, Northern White beans and edible soybeans this year. I figured if we had a killing frost, I had enough bean seeds to start over. They have sprouted and I doubt wether I will bother covering them tomorrow night. The overnight temp is forecasted at 36.
 I also transplanted some cucumber, melon and squash plants. My thinking here is that I need to keep them covered to keep the bugs off them for a few weeks so they will be OK if we get a frost.
 My tomato plants will be going in the ground this weekend, and the pepper plants next week, well after the danger of frost is past.

No comments:

Post a Comment