Thursday, May 26, 2011

changing of harvest

well strawberry season is over here at my place. This was the best season yet for our strawberries, thanks to the new variety we planted last fall, Chandler. If you are going to grow strawberries here in the central carolinas, I would highly recommend you plant this berry. They are big and delicious.
 The russian pickle cucumbers are starting to produce. I've gotten 6 in the last two days. I planted 9 plants, hopefully that will produce enough for me to can some bread and butter pickles, some dill spears and some sweet relish this year. We shall see. I also planted two Soyu cucs for the salad plates. The DW just loves these long straight slicing cucs and so do I.
 I am seeing flowers on the Ky wonder pole beans I transplanted into the garden. The beans I direct seeded a week later still haven't started flowering. I've got flowers and some small fruits on my Mortgage lifter and Box Car Willie maters, as well as on the Stupices. I can hardly wait for the first maters, I should have started some brown berry cherry maters this year. They always give me the first taste of maters every year, but I am not a big fan of cherry tomatoes, and didn't want to give up space for them.
 Some of my garlic plants are looking a little worse for the wear so I dug up 6 Red Creole plants. They had nice size bulbs on them, but I think I'll give the rest of them a couple more weeks. I usually don't dig my garlic 'til sometime after the 4th of July,  but this is my first year growing creole type garlic and the plants are starting to look haggard. I have 3 varieties of creole garlic in the garden, off the top of my head I think they are Aja Rojo, Creole Red and I can't remember. I have some soft necks that I've been growing from a grocery store bulb for several years now as well. I have no idea what variety they are, but I eat about half the bulbs and store the rest for growing the next season each year.
 I'd like to wish all my fellow veterans a happy memorial day, and ask that we all keep those who made the ultimate sacrifice in our hearts and prayers. And their families too.

No comments:

Post a Comment