Friday, May 27, 2011

Garlic harvest

I started the garlic harvest in earnest today. I dug all the Aja Rojo bulbs, about 100, out of the garden today. The leaves were turning yellow so I felt it was time for them. It seems a little early, but they had formed fair sized bulbs. I think I planted them a little too close together (3" apart) because the Burgandy garlic I planted at greater spacing (6") had much bigger bulbs. Lesson learned!
 I started seeds for the fall garden this evening in coffee filters and plastic bags. Tonight I did some Atlantic broccoli, some Early snowball cauliflower, and some red danish cabbage. I realized that I am all out of of golden acre cabbage seeds, so I'll have to order some soon.
 The Long Island Improved brusell sprouts I potted up are doing well.


The bulb on the left had 6" spacing, the bulb on the right 3".

No comments:

Post a Comment