Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fall seed starting

Looking back at Friday's post, I see that I started seeds for the fall veggie garden on that day. Today I can see I am having some germination already. Just to explain how I start my seeds, here's how it works. I take a coffee filter and moisten it. I then put seed on one section, in the shape of a slice of pie, and fold the filter over the seeds twice. Then I put the filter and seeds into a sealed ziplock baggie and prop it up against the wall like it was a letter in a letter holder. This way, when the seeds germinate, the root will work it's way down between the layers of the filter. If you were to lay the baggie flat on the counter, the root would try to work it's way through the layers of the coffee filter and you would have trouble getting them out of the filter without damaging the roots. After about a week, the seeds will start forming little 'tails' and look like small tadpoles. I typically let them go for another week and them pot them up in some potting soil mixed with worm castings. I grow them on under lights for about 4 weeks. Then I harden them off for about a week and plant them out under a row cover. I keep them under row covers for about the first month for two reasons. First because we have terribly hot summers and they will need the shade, and second because pests are also a problem during the peak summer months and the row covers will protect them from both the sun and the bugs.
 Just to switch over for a moment, I'd like to share what's going on in the flower gardens around the house. Here around the back of the house around the pool, the mophead hydrangeas are in full bloom, as are the blue balloon flowers. My hollyhocks are blooming, but they have a bad case of rust and the plants look awful. The alba lavendar is getting ready to bloom which is quite a treat for the bees. A great number of the daylillies are blooming, even some of the hostas have blooms already too. Out front the gallardadia and coneflowers are in full bloom. And the mexican hats are absolutely lovely this year. I will try to get out and take some pictures tomorrow morning so I can share them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment