Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial weekend

A rather uneventful weekend in the garden. Saturday morning Maggie managed to catch a small rabbit. I caught her before any damage had been done and freed the little fellow, although doing so was no in the best interest of my garden. I put the dogs back in the fenced in area of the back yard for an hour or so and thought that would be plenty of time for the rabbit to have made his escape. Well, Darwin got another victim, because when the dogs and I came back out to mow the paths, the rabbit had returned to the garden and this time both dogs were hot on it's tail. This did not come out well for the rabbit this time, as I was distracted with the mowing and by the time I saw what was going on, the dogs have critically injured the rabbit. I put it out of it's misery and disposed of the body so I wouldn't find it in the shop (where the dogs sleep) stinking up the whole basement.
 Lyle and Dawn came over to swim on Sunday with their two daughters. I took them out and let them feed the chickens and give some peppermints to the neighbor's horses and gave Lyle a tour of the garden. The soybeans I planted have started to sprout and the green beans are forming. I should have enough beans for a meal by next weekend, and by the looks of it, at least two meals a week from then on. I planted enough bush beans to do some canning (hopefully) this summer. I hope to use the pole beans for fresh eating.
 I put some basil seeds in the ground near the beans on Monday. I thought I had started some plants this winter but I guess not as I couldn't find any. I have some purple basil growing out in the flower gardens but I don't know how that might taste or look in some of the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment