Thursday, May 19, 2011

More planting today.

I had most of the day off today as it is slow at work. So I spent the better part of the day in the garden, pulling up the last of the radishes, turnips and the sweet pea plants that have been harvested. I added compost and tilled up all these areas and planted about 25 sqft of Edible soy beans. My doctor told me I needed to get more Omega 3 acids in my diet to fight off plaque, so I did a little research and found that fresh soy beans are a good source (along with many other fresh veggies).
 I started seeds for my fall crop of brussels sprouts and they have sprouted. I potted them up last night and will be growing them under lights for the next month or so. I am trying, yet again, to grow Long Island Improved brussels spouts. This will be my third try. The first try was a spring crop, which was doomed to fail here in Carolina. The second attempt, last fall, I got into the garden too late and they didn't form 'heads' until late winter and the heads were too loose. Hopefully, the third time is the trick or I will probably give up on them and stick to the things I can actually get a harvest from. But I sure do enjoy some fresh Bsprouts with a light lemon butter sauce! And there is nothing as satisfying as fresh veggies in early winter.
 I am chomping at the bit to plant my pumpkin seeds, but I learned my lesson last year, when I planted in mid-May and my pumpkins were ready in August, but Halloween was still 6 weeks away! I will be planting the pumpkin seeds around the 4th of July, which is about the same time I will be putting the Bsprouts in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment