Monday, June 6, 2011

A busy weekend

I got a lot accomplished this weekend. I harvested most of the spring carrot crop and got 8  pints canned. I put them in small containers because I am the only one around here who eats canned carrots, so a pint is plenty for a side dish.  I left a row of carrots in the garden to have for fresh salads. The chickens seem to really like carrot greens.
 I picked enough pole beans (KY wonder) to can 8 quarts of beans and still have enough left for dinner on Sunday night. There is just no comparing fresh green beans with those soft things that come from a can in the store.
 I also dug up the Yukon Gold potatoes. We had some baked with our dinner on Sunday night. This being our first time having fresh potatoes from the garden we didn't know what to expect. The fresh Yukons were so good you hardly needed butter. Soft and creamy and just delicious. I also made some potato salad from some of the taters too. Looks like I'll be having tater salad for lunch the rest of the week. No complaints from me though!
 I gave making pickles my first try Saturday night. I went down to Wallyworld and got a packet of instant pickling spices. I broke down the recipe by 1/3 as I didn't have enough pickles to make a full batch. After letting them sit for two days in the fridge, I gave them a try today. Epic fail! I think I know how Andy and Barney felt when they had to eat Aunt Bee's pickles. Uggh! Oh well, I'll try again with a different recipe next weekend. I think I'll try from scratch with fresh spices this time.
 I also cleaned out the chicken coop on Sunday and used the chips from there to mulch the soy beans. The chicken poop should go a long way towards feeding the beans, if I can keep the dogs out of there.
 Maggie brought home an animal's hind leg bone on Saturday. I took it away from her and threw it into one of the compost heaps. She showed up with what looked like the same bone on Sunday and I thought she had managed to get into the compost heap and retrieve it. It turns out she had gone out and found the second of the animal's hind legs. This morning she brought the critter's skull home. I am assuming it was a possum.  It had some big lower teeth on it.
 I spent some time tying up tomato plants this afternoon. If all goes well, I'll be having a bumper crop of tomatoes here soon. I've got well over a hundred baby tomatoes on the plants and lots of flowers as well.
 I am just now starting to get blooms on some of the pepper plants. Looks like I won't be having any fresh salsa or stuffed peppers for awhile yet.
 I also finished curing the Aja Rojo garlic this weekend and cut off the tops and roots and put them in a paper bag in the shop for storage until I use them or plant them again in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment