Tuesday, June 21, 2011

poor Peewee

Poor Peewee, the smallest of my four chickens was attacked overnight and is no longer with us. Some sort of critter managed to pull the staples out of the chicken wire that covered the openings in the roof trusses of the chicken coop and made, what I hope, was short work of Peewee. I found her this morning when I went out to feed the girls. I spent an hour reinforcing the protective wiring around the roof trusses so hopefully this will be the last of it. I have my doubts though. Once a critter finds a food source like my chickens, they tend to keep coming back. It's a shame we aren't closer to the weekend so I could spend an evening playing sniper in waiting and remove the threat.  I think I may ask Molly to hatch a couple more chicks for me, as I know for certain that one of my 'girls' is a rooster and will have to leave this weekend. That will leave me with just two hens, and for whatever reason, I feel the need for three hens.  We'll see. If the predator gets anymore of the chickens I think I'll just give the survivors to Molly to take out to the farm and that will be the end of the great chicken experiment. Keep your fingers crossed, I have started to get rather attached to the chicks and would like to keep them around.

No comments:

Post a Comment