Friday, June 10, 2011

Finishing the potato harvest and some distressing chicken news.

 It appears the Kennebec and Pontiac Red potatoes are ready for harvesting. The tops are starting to yellow so I will be digging them tomorrow.
 Some bad news on the chicken front. It seems as if one of the girls is a guy. Ginger has started growing the  red 'thingy' right above its' beak and the DW tells me she saw/heard it crowing the other day while she was weeding. I thought I heard it last weekend, but with the alpacas next door making all sorts of weird noises, I had hoped it was one of them, and not one the chicks. So of the four chicks Molly (a friend of our neighbor and a friend of ours come to think of it) hatched for me, it appears that only one is a rooster. Not bad if you stop to think about it. I mean, think of the families you know that have all boys, or all girls or half and half. I could have come away with as many as four roosters instead of just one. We'll probably not eat all the eggs just three hens will lay anyway (but we'll try).

No comments:

Post a Comment