Thursday, June 9, 2011

The dreaded horned worm.

 Well it's that time of year again. The dreaded horned worm has made it's first appearance on my tomato plants. I was fortunate and spotted the first one before it had done too much damage. Now I am keeping a close eye out for them. I may take some pre-emptive action this weekend and spray every plant with BT. I guess it will depend on wether I see anymore between now and then.
 I've finished digging all the garlic now. Today I finished up by pulling up the Burgandy creole garlic. We had some fresh dug Yukon gold potatoes, with sliced Granex onions (also freshly dug) and creole garlic with our diner tonight. That and some carrots from the garden and some pork chops. My DW makes the world's finest fried pork chops known to man. She has an index card with a breading recipe I made for her twenty some odd years ago when I was attending culinary school. She follows it to the letter, and it always comes out delicious. I recall once when she was sick and I went to make myself some chops. I found what I thought was a baggie of pork chop breading in the fridge and went about making my diner. The chops browned up too fast and the breading blackened before I knew what hit me. Turns out the baggie was full of struessel topping (brown sugar and flour) and not pork chop breading. Dooh!
 I've made another batch of pickles today, but I don't expect much. The pickle spice mix I bought at the local market smelled alot like sweet pickle spice and I already had garlic, mustard seed and dill in the pickle jars when I poured the spice mix on the pickles. Who knows, maybe I'll discover something new that tastes good, but I am very doubtful. Thankfully, the Russian cuc plants are producing enough pickles that I'll have plenty to try again. I think this next batch I am going super simple. I'm just gonna boil some pickling salt with some vinegar, and add some dill, garlic and mustard seeds to the jars and let it go at that.
 I thought I'd also mention that my first planting of corn (Stowell's evergreen) has started to tassle. I am not sure which I am more anxious for, fresh sweet corn or fresh tomatoes.  I'm also starting to see some flowers on the bush beans as well. Won't be long before I'll be canning them up in mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment